The total percentage of gay and lesbian population is about 10% of the population and their ways of life significantly ramify the normal ways, livelihood, religion and beliefs of the rest 90%. Thus, it is recommended that the authorities should restrain from legalizing these minority population in favor of the majority as it is expected of a democratic society. Measures should be taken to make the authorities understand the good of the greater mass. It should be noted that marriage should be defined in constitution to be between a man and a woman but gay couples or those who chose this life style should be awarded the same benefits as heterosexual couples and it should not be called marriage but may be civil union since that is what these same sex couples want. This debate itself is a clear indication that gay’s impact on the institution of marriage is grossly underestimated. To understand this impact social, religious and natural issues would be taken into consideration.Let our writers help you! They will create your custom paper for $12.01 $10.21/page 322 academic experts online
Same sex marriages can never exist, since marriage is one that is a union between a male and female; hence, in this sense, the idea of same sex marriages is a kind of oxymoron, since same sex couples can never meet the most essential purpose of a marriage in the Judeo-Christian sense, procreation. Courts have traditionally held the view that marriage is untenable if it does not lead to procreation; seen in this sense, supporters of same sex marriages argue that even old people and sterile heterosexuals should be denied marriage. This argument, though, is defeated by the allusion to the point that with the advancement of science, it is possible for same sex couples also to have children. Thus, it is obvious that gay’s impact on the institution of marriage is becoming more serious and that general underestimation of the society is making it easier for the gay population to ramify the institution of marriage.
Same sex marriage is contrary to nature’s creation; they term homosexuality the height of deviant behavior comparable to some of the most heinous acts, and equate its very existence to promiscuity and sexual depravity. Another extremely important factor these opponents of same sex marriages put forward is that one of the prime functions of marriage is biological; when same sex marriages render this impossible, how can this be considered as any kind of marriage? Another argument put forward in opposition to same sex marriages is legalizing it runs contradictory to established law –while on the one hand, the government bans some sexual practices such as sodomy, legalization of same sex marriages would negate that, as this practice is accepted as common practice in same sex marriages, especially between two men.
In addition, gay marriage offends all major religious institutions in America. Most religious institutions consider gay marriage to be a sinful act and recognize the religious sanctity of a marriage union. It is therefore important for homosexuals to recognize the religious sanctity of a union. Many religious institutions believe that allowing same sex couples to share a common alter with heterosexual couples, is a blatant corruption of society. However, the authorities are still undecided.
Thus, it is quite obvious that gay’s impact on the institution of marriage is grossly underestimated and in the meanwhile the movement of gay marriage are taking shape at a rapid pace. It is up to the authorities to take a clear and farm step to stop ramification of the institution of marriage by the gay community.